“There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why… I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?” – Robert F. Kennedy
If you have had the pleasure of meeting Tony, you know that he has an infectious “can do” attitude. He is present in meetings and as a rule turns off his phone to make sure that he gives his full-undivided attention to the matter at hand. They say there are three kinds of people in the world: 1) Those who make things happen, 2) those that watch things happen, and 3) those who wonder what happened. With his focus on the goal, Tony is most assuredly in the first group!
Tony comes to Device Solutions after more than two decades of engineering in wireless telecom. The last five years, Tony has been with Ascom Network Testing in the CTO group working as a Sr. Specialist on technology strategy, strategic partnerships, and managing R&D technology innovation projects. As it turns out, Tony has had the fortuitous opportunity to work with Bob Witter, Keith Anderson, Chris Lamb, Cecilia Hughes and many others previously during his nearly 20 years at Ericsson, Sony-Ericsson, and Ericsson GE. Coming to Device Solutions is more like a “reunion” for Tony who recognizes and appreciates the talent that Bob, Keith and Chris have assembled over the years. And Tony wanted to spend his time working with people he loves working with at company that he believes in and knows is poised for significant growth. Bob has said, “At Sony Ericsson, Tony was responsible for developing technical solutions and driving those solutions in organizations. In the decade in which I worked with Tony he demonstrated technical knowledge of a wide array of concepts and created a portfolio of white paper solutions and patents that rival any cellular industry expert. His role at Ascom allowed him to further provide clear options for problem resolution that provides a balance between technical requirements and business interests. We are lucky to have him join our team at Device Solutions.”
“I have always had the greatest respect for Device Solutions and Bob, Chris, and Keith”, says Tony. “I have been in contact with them over the years and decided that this was the time to join the team and have a front row seat to some incredible growth in the industry doing the things I love to do with people who appreciate my talent and my passion to get things done.” Tony’s first day was also the first day of opening new office space at 1016 Copeland Oaks Drive – new space was added just in time to hold more people in the offices in Morrisville.
Tony lists the following items as part of his Professional Accomplishments:
- 24+ years extensive knowledge of cellular technology standards since 1991 including LTE-A, IMS VoLTE, VQM, and IoT
- Evaluating and driving technology innovation through collaboration with operators, infrastructure manufacturers, and vendors; publishing technology strategy to establish internal and external direction
- Responsible for technology licensing with OEMs, chipset manufactures, and third-party companies to enable Ascom cellular network optimization product development
- Specified strategic roadmap planning for global product development based on the cellular networks, operator needs, and Sony Ericsson mobile development plans / propositions to reduce number of mobile variants, minimize cost, and ensure global portfolio breadth and economies of scale
- Author / co-author of 18 issued United States patents and 7 pending US patent applications all pertaining to the wireless communication industry
- Lead and participated in specification, consortium, open alliance, forum, regulatory, and industry standards development including EIA/TIA, 3GPP, VoLTE One Voice Alliance, etc.
- Troubleshooting / resolution of mobile, infrastructure, operator installments, and baseband modem issues based on knowledge of cellular ecosystem
On a more personal note, Tony is a devoted father with a loving wife of more than twenty-five years and a son who is studying mechanical engineering at North Carolina State University. Tony appreciates all of his family’s successes including supporting various school projects, food drives, sports events, and musical accomplishments. Tony is self-described as, “Renaissance man with a bit of technology know-how,” which those who know Tony would say he isn’t taking enough credit. But isn’t that consistent with the employees you will find at Device Solutions – technical, competent, collaborative, committed, and supporting the community. Welcome home Tony. Now let’s get some stuff done!